What will I be doing in this position?
Recruitment & Selection
- Develop relationships with prospective talent that yield lasting results; serving as a compelling ambassador of Summit Public Schools in a variety of settings, from 1:1 conversations with prospects to attending relevant career-fairs
- Oversee communication with Summit Public School’s external candidates, scheduling interviews and management of logistics for offers from multiple teams
- Coordinate logistics for events, travel, job postings and interview experiences
- Propose and manage new recruiting initiatives as appropriate
- Monitor the progress of prospective candidates through the recruitment process, including ensuring timely communications, managing cultivation and selection data in database system, and using data to drive change in efforts
- Create media-rich collateral for website and social media that effectively communicates the Summit teacher experience
- Develop and manage online social media campaigns to generate candidate applications and employee referrals
This position is based in the Bay Area, requires frequent travel throughout the Bay Area, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
What skills and qualifications do I need to be successful in this position?
- Demonstrated knowledge and support of Summit Public Schools mission, values, and standards
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a persuasive capacity when speaking to candidates
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Superb computer skills, including Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
How will this position help me grow professionally?
In this role, a fellow will obtain valuable experience at an organization that is influencing the future of education. We are eager to host a fellow that will have a voice and be a valued member of our community. We anticipate this experience will develop the successful fellow as a future leader in education and push our work forward.
What is the organization's mission and history?
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Basecamp Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education.
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organizations in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
What are the organization's programs?
Summit Personalized Learning - The Summit Personalized Learning Platform is a free online tool that helps students set and track goals, learn content at their own pace, complete deeper learning projects and reflect on their experiences. It was developed in classrooms by teachers.
Summit Schools - We strive to operate high-performing personalized learning schools that will serve as a proof point for how education can be more student-centered.
Why does this organization want a PP55 Fellow? What long-term impact will I have?
Summit is working hard to make education student-centered and engaging and we’re seeking great teachers to support this mission. We envision hosting fellows in several different roles:
- Recruitment: We are looking for a fellow to support our talent team in developing high-quality collateral that captures the voice of our teachers and engages with potential applicants through social media. The successful candidate will also lead efforts around new employee onboarding and internal communications for Summit’s teachers, school leaders and home office staff.
- Teaching - Educators are at the core of our work and we are eager to host credentialed teachers or those who aspire to obtain a teaching credential. The role of the teacher is to empower students to own their learning. Teachers at Summit plan by deeply understanding student data and determining what group and individual supports are needed for their students to move forward on complex projects.
What is the organization's culture?
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, our organization has a startup environment. We are deeply data driven, results-oriented and comprised of more do-ers than managers. Summit Public Schools is a highly collaborative and entrepreneurial environment, which stems from the inherent urgency that exists in our mission. The second word in Summit’s mission is diverse. Diversity is at the core of who we are and what we aspire to be. During our fifteen year history, we have focused intently on the diversity, inclusion, and equity of our student populations.